My Blog List

Saturday 16 May 2009

Trip down Memory Lane















I have had some bad news this week as I heard that my niece has bowel cancer and a tumour on her liver. She has a 2 and a 4 year old. My sister is devastated and we can only pray. I pray that God will reveal Himself to all their family throughout each step of the way. She is going to Christie Hospital next week to discuss the treatment.

Despite thinking about this for much of the time I have had a good week but I am so tired today and it is only 9am! I really need to rest this weekend. I really don't know how people manage to commute to London every day. Two days was enough for me!

I had a good day on Thursday. Graham was at home all day and took the children to school. My friend dropped me off at the station and then I arrived at the L.S.E. at 9.30am to be told my seminar didn't start until 4pm that day! I wish I was better organised!! So, I decided to make the most of my time and walked to Trafalgar Square and went to the National Gallery. I haven't been there for years and it was brilliant. I saw amazing paintings of famous artists including, Turner, Constable, Renoir, Van Gogh, Manet and Monet. I did wonder why us Brits had all the French Impressionists' famous works and why they weren't in France. I had my lunch there and then wandered next door to the Portrait Gallery. Again, I was in awe to see lots of really famous paintings. The one that I was really moved by was a portrait of the Bronte sisters, painted by their brother, Bramwell. I have seen a picture of it so many times in different books and to see the original was great.

I then walked to McDonalds and had a coffee and did my emails as there is a free wifi connection. My feet were killing me after so much walking and I continued walking to Convent Garden and then back to the L.S.E. for the 2 seminars.

I was shown into a plush lecture theatre and listened to two seminars which were very interesting and relevant to my work. It finished at 6 and then I walked to St Pancras via Holburn and Russell Square, taking pictures of the two nurses' homes where I lived in the late 1980s.

I got back to Bedford at 8.00pm and Graham's friend collected me from the station on his way to our house to watch the football. Sadly, Leeds lost which means they stay in division 1 for another year. Graham and Charlie were really upset and didn't take my comment that 'perhaps they should support a team that wins from time to time' very well!

Another early start yesterday and I arrived at the L.S.E for a 9.30am start. I listened to four seminars presented by researchers from main European universities. By lunch time I was brain dead and badly needing some air and light as I had been sat in a small dimly lit room for over 3 hours. So I left and after a couple of texts to my friend, Helen who had come up to London from Sussex we arranged to meet outside Russell Square tube station, right next door to where we used to live! It was so good to see her. We worked out that we hadn't seen each other for five years! Yet, it was as if it was yesterday. We had a great time reminiscing and catching up with all our news over a long lunch in a restaurant we used to go to when we lived together. We then had a walk around the area and felt bold enough to go into Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital where we also worked together. Helen and I did our nurse training together in Manchester and came to London together as well. Helen was with me when I met Graham on holiday in Greece and she went out with Graham's friend for several months. Helen was our bridesmaid and after a couple of bad relationships she eventually met her husband who she married five years ago. We were delighted when she found happiness at last. We have kept in touch via the phone, cards and email, but she moved south shortly after she was married and we found it difficult to meet up.

Anyway, we both said we wouldn't leave it as long next time.

We visited the wards where we both worked and some really friendly doctors and nurses showed us round. I even signed the leaving card for a consultant who I worked with 21 years ago who is retiring!

We then found a Starbucks and had coffee and a cake before more walking around. Our next and final stop was a Yo Sushi! restaurant which neither of us had been to again, and neither of us will go to again either! The food wasn't very nice, but we didn't each much as we had been eating all day.

We said our goodbyes and I walked back to St Pancras in the rain. My feet are aching so much today and I even have a couple of blisters.

I got home at 9.30pm and went straight to bed- shattered.

Back writing this after having our cell group this morning. It's a lovely day. Rosie has gone to a farmers' event with a friend and Harry has just come back from a marching band parade for CCF at school. Charlie is having a late breakfast and Graham is reading the paper- not sure how we are going to spend the rest of the day, but I know I don't want to do much.

My tooth problem persists and I had another failed root canal attempt on Tuesday. Apparently the nerve is dead inside the tooth but there is still some inflammation. My neck and shoulder are still sore and am not sure whether they are connected. Will go to the Dr next week if it is still painful. Another appointment has been made with the dentist next month to finish off the root canal treatment. I feel I am falling apart at the moment health wise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can always count on you for the most amazing pictures, you make me want to travel... truly!!

I am very sorry to hear about your niece and I will most definitely keep her in my prayers :(

P.S. I am currently drinking an iced vanilla coffee from Mcdonald's, we have great taste lol

<3 Martha